Phil Nelson creates beautiful photographic landscape studies that are equally suited for fine art display and commercial use. Phil has an eye for unique environments that are both visually and emotionally pleasing. His images are expansive, but his attention to detail creates a quiet mood that draws the viewer in. His expert knowledge of color, composition, and natural light combine to create stunning clarity. Phil applies this same sensitivity when working with architecture and portraiture to capture the atmosphere and character of his subject.
Nelson started his career in graphic design and film animation before the personal computer and digital photography. In the early 80’s Phil realized sooner than most the value of technology in the field of graphic arts and jumped in head first. Putting his design career on hold, Nelson started work at Apple Computer in the mid-eighties and helped drive the desktop publishing revolution. Phil then went on to Adobe Systems to manage major corporate clients in the advertising, publishing, and entertainment industries. In 2004, Phil started Phil Nelson Imaging, focusing his time on photographing landscapes and architecture. Phil’s large format prints can be seen on the walls of many corporate and private clients and have been reproduced in numerous magazines.
Phil is also a trainer of digital photography. He has delivered hundreds of seminars in the US, Canada and Europe, for the color management company, X-Rite, on the tricky aspects of maintaining consistent color through the photographic workflow. Phil is also an Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Certified Expert and has consulted with photographers on how to database, manage, and archive thousands of images. His expertise in image management is second to none. Phil is also on the board of directors of the Connecticut ASMP.
- “Taking Shape”, Group Exhibition of Seven Artists, The Drawing Room Gallery, Cos Cob, 2012/2013
- “Bodegas, Marquetas, y Tiendas”, a Photographic Exhibition of The Hispanic Markets of Stamford, Mayor’s Gallery, Stamford, 2011
- Old Town Hall Museum, Inaugural Art Exhibit, Stamford, 2010
- “Barn (Consciousness) Raising” Photographic Exhibition, Mayor’s Gallery, Stamford, 2010
- Solo Show, “Landscapes in HDR”, Mayor’s Gallery, Stamford, 2009
- New Canaan Chamber of Commerce Photography Showcase, 2009
- Darien Arts Center 51st Annual Juried Art Exhibit, 1st Prize Color Photography, 2009
- Stamford Art Association, 27th Annual Faber Birren Color Show, 2007
- Darien Arts Center 49th Annual Juried Art Exhibit, 1st Prize Color Photography, 2007
- Greenwich Arts Council, Arts to the Avenue, 2005
- Greenwich Arts Council, Arts to the Avenue, 2004
- Greenwich Arts Council, Exhibit, Bendheim Gallery, 2004
Phil can be reached at: